The 1988 E32 750iL interior mirror dropped after >25 years, for re-attaching I used Loctite Product 319 Rear View Mirror Bonder.
LOCTITE® Product 319 Rear View Mirror Bonder is a single component, anaerobic structural adhesive for bonding dissimilar materials such as metals and glass. The product cures when confined between close fitting parts with the aid of activator impregnated mesh.
Directions for use
- Ensure hands and tools are free from grease and dirt before starting repair.
- Adhesive performs best at room temperature.
- The kit contains a tube of adhesive and an activated mesh.
- Trim mesh to size of mirror or aerial button.
- Remove mounting button (if fitted) from mirror bracket.
- Using a marker pen, mark the exact position of the rear view mirror/aerial on the opposite side of the window.
- Remove all old adhesive on the window and mirror/aerial button with a safety blade or utility knife and ensure that the surfaces are clean and dry.
- Cut the top off the adhesive. Apply adhesive to the button, using the nozzle to spread out adhesive to evenly cover the area.
- In cold conditions adhesize may be difficult to dispence, warm it to room temparature.
- Place adhesive mesh over the adhesive on the button, use tip of bottle to press mesh onto the adhesive allowing mesh to become saturated.
- Taking care to ensure the button is right way up, apply it immediately to the winscreen in the position marked previously.
- Hold firmly in place for at least 30 seconds (1 minute if button and mirror are one part).
- Allow adhesive to set for 15 minutes before attaching the mirror to the button, or adjusting the mirror.
The tricky thing is to find the top of the metal bracket.
On our E32 the mirror is de-/attached by turning the neck of the mirror in the bracket holder by 90 degrees, either clockwise or anticlockwise.
Best is you make a "dry test run" without the adhesive first to know what to do, because once the adhesive comes into contact with the plastic mash with the
activator/hardener inside the mesh, you have 30 seconds to attach the bracket before the adhesive gets hard.
Jump to top